The main research focuses of the Department of Plant Pathology and Microbiology are as follows:
- Studying the biological nature of various plant pathogenic and useful microorganisms including fungi, bacteria, nematodes, viruses and phytoplasma
- Understanding the importance of noninfectious plant diseases
- Becoming familiar with techniques for the diagnosis of plant diseases and methods for plant disease management
- Dissecting the interactions between pathogens and their plant hosts
- Exploring the bio-resources of microorganisms for practical application.